HANU

Picture of Nguyen Quang Vinh
Translation of poetry
by Nguyen Quang Vinh - Thursday, 29 June 2006, 01:35 PM

This thesis is written in order to give general guidelines to translating poems from English to Vietnamese. However, I have to emphasize here that despite being an English major who have studied English for many years and a poetry lover myself, I cannot claim that this study is a guideline to veteran professional translators of poetry. In fact, I owe a lot to their work and studies on which I have done my research. This thesis can only be a guideline to poetry translation for such people as English language learners who have a good command of English and now want to try translating poems from English to Vietnamese, yet find themselves knowing little about poetry in general and poetry translation in particular. Besides, for those who do not intend to translate poems but have a wish to understand more about English and Vietnamese poetry in order to appreciate poems written in these languages better, this study is hoped to be a useful source. In short, this thesis is aimed at:

1) providing would-be translators of poetry with basic knowledge about poetry in general, English and Vietnamese poetry in particular

2) offering an approach to translating an English poem into Vietnamese

Open the attached file to view the whole thesis writen by Nguyen Tuyet Ngan